There has been no shortage of stories of athletes using Twitter and social media to further their ‘personal brand.
Not all stories are bad though. This is why I thought it would be interesting to focus on those athletes who use social media, in particular Twitter, as a way to interact with their fans.
Being a sport fanatic I find myself constantly conversing with several athletes, commentators and various sporting identities. The best thing is you don’t even have to be famous to interact with all your sporting heroes. The majority of them are happy and willing to converse, have a bit of fun as well as keep you up-to-date with what’s happening in their world, professionally and personally.
Whatever code you follow there are plenty of athletes/teams you can ‘follow’. Below is a list of athletes/teams I follow on Twitter along with a few others.
• Wendell Sailor – @RealBigDell
• Robbie Farah – @robbiefarah
• Nathan Hindmarsh – @NathanHiney
• Lote Tuqiri – @LoteTuqiri
• NRL – @NRL
• Sam Burgess – @SamBurgess8
• St.George Illawarra – @NRL_Dragons
• Newcastle Knights – @NRLKnights
• Mark Geyer – @markMGgeyer
• Scott Prince – @scottprince7
• Bryce Gibbs – @brycegibbss
• Nathan Burns – @nathanburns10
• Robert Cornthwaite – @RCornthwaite
• Scott Jamieson – @ScottJamieson
• Travis Dodd – @trav_dodd
• Harry Kewell – @HarryKewellOFCL
• Tim Cahill – @Tim_Cahill
• Wayne Rooney – @Wazzaroon08
Other sporting identities
• Michael Clarke – @MClarke23 (Australian Cricket Captain)
• Shane Warne – @warne888 (Cricketing legend)
• Craig Foster – @Craig_Foster (Football Identity)
• Cameron Williams – @camjwilliams (Television personality)
• Mark Bosnich – @TheRealBozza (Former footballer now television personality)
• Tiger Woods – @TigerWoods (Professional golfer)
• Andy Raymond – @Andy_Raymond (Television personality)
• Alyssa Healy – @ahealy77 (Australian cricketer)
• Australian National Women’s cricket team – @_SouthernStars
• Alex Blackwell – @AlexBlackwell2 (Australian cricketer)
• Benita Willis – @Benitawillis (Three time Australian Olympian)
• Susan Pratley – @susanswifts (NSW Swifts and Australian Diamonds Player)
• Libby Trickett – @libby_trickett (Australian swimmer)
So you can see, there are many sporting identities from all walks of life you can follow and interact with through Twitter.
Oh, before I forget you can also follow me @shanebrien
Who haven’t I mentioned that you think I should follow? Drop me a line in the comments box below.